Name: Axel Hall
Tel: +354 599 6200
Date of Birth: September 17th, 1971
Education: Ph.D. student currently at the University of Iceland
M.Sc. Mathematical Economics and Econometrics (1995),London School of Economics
B.Sc. Economics (1994), University of Iceland
Fields: Econometrics, Statistics, Transport Economics, Cost-Benefit Analysis, Health Economics, Micro- and Macroeconomics.
1. Associate Professor, Reykjavik University 2006 onwards.
2. Researcher , Institute of Economic Studies, University of Iceland, (1996-2006).
3. Teaching Associate, Faculty of Business, Reykjavik University, (1998-2000).
4. Teaching Associate, Faculty of Economics, University of Iceland, (1997-present). Courses, Macroeconomics I, Microeconomics II, Statistics I, Econometrics I and Econometrics II, Econometrics for M. Sc. students in finance. Health Economics I for M. Sc. students in Health Economics, Pharmaceutical Economics, Mathematics I.
5. Assistant Manager, Dreifing ehf (1995-1996)
1. Head of an expert panel appointed by the Secretary of State for Agriculture and Fisheries to evaluate the economic impact of the fisheries management bill pending in Parliament.
2. Member of a committee appointed by the Prime Minister of Iceland to advise the government on ways to lower food prices in Iceland. (2006)
3. Consultant for a committee appointed by the Minister of Transport and the Mayor of Reykjavik to oversee a cost-benefit analysis into the possible relocation of Reykjavik Airport (2006).
4. Member of a committee appointed by the Minister of Transport to negotiate new charges in the Hvalfjordur tunnel (2004).
5. Consultant to the (Central) Bank of Uganda on Uganda’s monetary policy framework (2002–2003).
International Conferences Organized:
1. Nordic Health Economists Study Group Meeting, Reykjavik, Iceland, a conference organized for the Faculty of Business and Economics University of Iceland, 17-19 August 2004
1. Books and Monographs:
1. Regional study into the economic conditions of people living in the peripheral regions of Iceland 2002.With Ásgeir Jónsson, Sveinn Agnarsson og Tryggvi Þór Herbertsson. Institute of Economic Studies.
2. People and Business 2002. Chapter on Transport Costs pages 106-140, Institute of Economic Studies.
3. The Financing and Operation of the Health Services in Iceland 2003. With Sólveig Jóhannsdóttir. Institute of Economic Studies.
2. Papers in Refereed Journals
1. Baldursson, F & Hall, A. (2008). Convergence to an inflation target in the Central Bank of Iceland’s Macroeconomic model. Journal of Trade and Economics (icelandic), Special Issue: 83-105.
2. "EMU and the Icelandic Labour Market," (1998), Financial Bulletin of the Central Bank of Iceland, Vol. XLV, January-June, pp. 29-52,with Gylfi Magnusson, Gylfi Zoega, Axel Hall, Sigurdur Ingolfsson, and Sveinn Agnarsson.
3. Collected Volumes and Other Academic Papers:
1. “Value of time in CBA; The relocation of Reykjavik Airport” 1997 in F. Jónsson (ed.) Rannsóknir í félagsvísindum, University of Iceland, Reykjavik.
2. “Testing a CGE model: The tax- free year in Iceland as a natural experiment”, 2000 in M. Guðmundsson, T.T. Herbertsson, and G. Zoega (eds.) Macroeconomic Policy: Small Open Economy in an Era of Global Integration, University of Iceland Press, Reykjavík, 2000 with Jón Þór Sturluson.
3. "EMU and the Icelandic Labour Market," in M. Guðmundsson, T.T. Herbertsson, and G. Zoega (eds.) Macroeconomic Policy: Small Open Economy in an Era of Global Integration, University of Iceland Press, Reykjavík, 2000, with Gylfi Magnusson, with Gylfi Zoega, Axel Hall, Sigurdur Ingolfsson, and Sveinn Agnarsson.
1. A report to the Secretary of State for Agriculture and Fisheries on the economic impact of the fisheries management bill pending in Parliament. Hall et al (2011)., pp 1-120, June 2011.
2. Pricing Electricity Transmission in Iceland at Landsnet II, Hall, A.,. (2009). Institute of Finance Reserarch at R.U.
3. Pricing Electricity Transmission in Iceland at Landsnet, Hall, A., Baldursson, F.M. Flygenring, K., S. (2008). Institute of Finance Reserarch at R.U
4. Prioritising Investment in Infrastructure II for Ministry of Transport forthcoming With Sólveig Jóhannsdóttir C07:03 With Sólveig Jóhannsdóttir.
5. Subsidising Film Industry in Iceland an Impact Study C05:05 With Sigurður Jóhannesson
6. Impact Study of the New Aluminium Smelter in Reyðarfjörður C05:04 With Tryggvi Herbertsson and Sveinn Agnarsson
7. Prioritising Investment in Infrastructure for Ministry of Transport C05:03 With Sólveig Jóhannsdóttir
8. Cost Analysis of the Primary Health Care in Iceland C04:07 With Sólveig Jóhannsdóttir.
9. Cost Benefit Analysis of the feasibility of the Westmanna Islands Tunnel C04:02 With Jón Bjarki Bentsson
10. The Economic Impact of wider Government Housing Loans. C03:06 With Ásgeir Jónsson, Sigurður Jóhannesson, Sveinn Agnarsson and Tryggvi Þór Herbertssoni
11. Airline- and Travel Industry in Iceland C03:07 With Ásgeir Jónsson
12. The Cost of Smoking (2000) C03:04
13. Monetary Transmission and Monitoring of the Real Economy in Uganda(2003), report to the Governor of the Bank of Uganda, with Tryggvi Þór Herbertsson
14. Costs and benefits of Colorectal screening program in Iceland C02:04
15. The competitive Setting between Land Transport and Sea Transport in Iceland.C02:03
16. Port of Reykjavik, economic Impact and Environment C01:01 With Gylfi Magnússon.
17. Aviation Charges in Iceland 99:11
18. Computable General Equilibrium Model of the Icelandic Economy R98:03 with Jón Þór Sturluson.
19. The Viking CGE Model 1998. IoES Working Papers Series. With Jón Þór Sturluson and Leianne A. Clements.
20. EMU and the Icelandic Labour Market, IoES Research Report No. R98:01, a report to a committee appointed by the Prime Minister of Iceland to investigate the consequences of the EMU for the Icelandic economy, with Gylfi Magnusson, Gylfi Zoega, Axel Hall, Sigurdur Ingolfsson, and Sveinn Agnarsson.
21. Demand for flights on domestic routes in Iceland C98:03
22. Economic Impact of Reykjavik Airport C98:02 With Sigurður Ingólfsson
23. Cost Benefit Analysis study of the relocation of Reykjavik Airport C97:01 With Gauti Eggertsson, Haukur Benediktsson, Ragnar Árnason, og Tryggvi Þór Herbertsson.
5. Working papers in process of publication:
1. Hall, A and Zoega, G. (2010). “ Working in spite of High Taxes: On the Role of Culture in Explaining High Employment in the Nordic Countries”, Working paper at RU
6. Shorter Papers, Op-Eds:
1. Taxes in Iceland and the Nordic Countries I, The Market in Fréttablaðið, April 2007.
2. Taxes in Iceland and the Nordic Countries II, The Market in Fréttablaðið, April 2007.
3. Taxes and Equity, Morgunblaðið, February 2007, with Ragnar Árnason
4. Are Real Estate Prices in Iceland Too High, Morgunblaðið, June 2004, with Tryggvi Þór Herbertsson.