Atvest – West fjords Business Development Company
Main emphasis; General management, strategic planning, job creation and rural development
Own company. Focus areas; Management Consulting, Strategic Planning, International Business., University teaching, seminars and lectures.
February 2004 – September 2006
Consultant. Focus areas; International business, international projects and project development, fisheries and strategic planning.
February 2001 – February 2004
Managing Director (shareholder). Main responsibility; managing the daily operations of ICECON (a Consulting Company specialized in fisheries). Developing and a Joint Venture Company in Morocco between Icelandic and Moroccan parties, to catch, process and market pelagic species out of Morocco. Conducting market research, business plans and feasibility studies in Morocco.
Conducting market research, business plans and feasibility studies in Malaysia for Icelandic companies
Participating in tenders on international fisheries projects by World Bank, EBRD, African Development Bank end others.
February 2000 – February 2001
Thorgeir Palsson Export and Marketing Consultancy
Export- and Marketing Consulting. Working as a Business and Export Consultant for companies in Iceland, both concerning their domestic and international operations. Main focus points; development of export activities, strategic planning, conducting business plans and feasibility studies
Trade Council of Iceland
September, 1991 – February 2000
1995- 2000; Director of Fisheries Department. Responsible for all activities of the Trade Council of Iceland, with regard to providing services to the Icelandic fisheries industry, companies, ministries, organizations and official authorities,
1992-1995; Director of Marketing Research. Responsible for structuring, organizing and conduction market reports for individual companies on project bases and for planning and conduction market research projects in the name of the Trade Council of Iceland.
GLOBEFISH - FAO
· Consultant for FAO/GLOBEFISH in 1998 in connection with the reconstruction of the GLOBEFISH office of FAO
· Conducting market research (Fish based Ready Meals in France) for GLOBEFISH.
· The undersigned was the Trade Council’s contact to GLOBEFISH since 1991, with regard to introducing GLOBEFISH and its services, market reports, newsletters and the GLOBEFISH databank to Icelandic companies and organizations. The undersigned organized the Icelandic GLOBEFISH Group, which consisted of the Trade Council of Iceland, The Ministry for Foreign Affairs, the Ministry of Fisheries, Iceland Seafood International, Icelandic Freezing Plants, Association of Icelandic Fish Producers and the University of Akureyri.
_ 1989-1990; Assistant to the Marketing Manager, coordination of marketing support to agents abroad, marketing and sales. Member of a working group during strategic planning of Marel Ltd, conducted by Hagvangur/Iko-Price Waterhouse.
_ 1990-1991; Sales Manager for UK and Scotland. Responsible for sales activities of Marel’s sales agents in Scotland, England and the Shetlands Islands.
University of Reykjavik
MBA – Master of Business Administration
Main emphasis: Strategy, Strategic planning
Norwegian School of Management
Three main fields of emphasis: International Marketing, International Finance, and Cross-Cultural Relations.
BS. Fishery Economics, specialization Marketing.
Final essay: Export of fresh fish from Northern Norway to the EFTA countries, with special focus on Switzerland.
Laugarvatn and Gardabær High School
Laugarvatn and Gardabær, Iceland
High School Diploma in Business.
Reports, Projects and other Professional Experience:
_ Prospects for Icelandic fishing vessels in distant waters, Trade Council of Iceland, 1991
_ The Market for Fish Based Ready Meals in the UK, FAO/GLOBEFISH, 1991
_ Fisheries in South Africa and Namibia, Trade Council of Iceland, 1992
_ The Market for Fish Based Ready Meals in France, FAO/GLOBEFISH, 1992
_ Iceland’s relations to FAO, Trade Council of Iceland, 1992
_ Markets for un-utilized species, Trade Council of Iceland, 1994
_ South Korea, Trade Council of Iceland, 1995
_ Fisheries in South Africa and Namibia, Trade Council of Iceland, 1996 - Update
_ Fisheries in Pakistan, Trade Council of Iceland, 1996
_ Fisheries in Vietnam, Trade Council of Iceland, 1996.
In addition: Number of market research projects for Icelandic companies, conducted on a project/consultancy bases as well as general market information gathered for individuals, companies and organizations.
Participation in and organization of exhibitions in:
_ Reykjavik, Iceland (5)
_ Brussels, Belgium (13)
_ Boston, USA (6)
_ Bremen, Germany (2)
_ Cape Town, South Africa (1)
_ Seoul and Pusan, South Korea (1 each)
_ Copenhagen, Denmark (2)
_ Moscow, Russia (1)
Reports written on Boston, Bremen, Brussels, Pusan and Cape Town exhibitions.
_ Vietnam, 1995. Participant in a delegation organized by UNDIO and the Ministry of Fisheries in Vietnam
Vietnam, 2002. Participant in a delegation in connection to the Official Visit to Vietnam by the Prime minister of Iceland, Mr. Davíð Oddsson
Organiser the following Business Delegations on behalf of the trade Council of Iceland:
_ Russia, ìn Northern opportunities in Murmansk, 1995. Organized by the Trade Council of Iceland and The Ministry for Foreign Affairs and External Trade of Iceland
_ South Africa and Namibia, 1995. Organized by the Trade Council of Iceland and The Ministry for Foreign Affairs and External Trade of Iceland. In Namibia, 15 Fisheries companies were formally visited.
_ Pakistan, 1996. Organized by the Trade Council of Iceland and The Ministry for Foreign Affairs and External Trade of Iceland. Other participants; The Icelandic Fisheries Technology Forum and the Icelandic Fisheries Development Fund.
_ South Korea, 1996. Official visit of the Minister for Foreign Affairs and External Trade of Iceland, accompanied by an Icelandic business delegation. Organized by the Trade Council of Iceland, The Ministry for Foreign Affairs and External Trade of Iceland and the Honorary Consul General of Korea in Iceland
· South America, 1997. Official visit of the Minister for Foreign Affairs and External Trade of Iceland to Argentina and Chile, accompanied by an Icelandic business delegation. Organized by the Trade Council of Iceland and The Ministry for Foreign Affairs and External Trade of Iceland, in cooperation with Consuls of Iceland in these countries, and others.
· Faeroe Islands, 1997-1998, Seminar, trade show and a business delegation accompanying the Major of Reykjavik and the Minister For Foreign Affairs
· Greenland 1997, Seminar, trade show and a business delegation accompanying the Major of Reykjavik and the Minister For Foreign Affairs
· Halifax, Canada 1998. A working visit of the Minister of Industry and Commerce accompanied by an Icelandic business delegation.
· Thailand - Malaysia 1999. Official visit of the Minister For Foreign Affairs of Iceland to Thailand in January 1999, and the official visit of the Minister of Industry and Commerce of Iceland to Malaysia in February 1999, accompanied by an Icelandic business delegation. Organized by the Trade Council of Iceland and The Ministry for Foreign Affairs and External Trade of Iceland and the Ministry of Industry and Commerce, in cooperation with Consuls of Iceland in these countries, and others.
The undersigned has been one of the main organizers in the above events. Nearly all of these visits have included planning and organization of seminars, trade shows and other forms of introduction of Icelandic businesses. All these visits have been planned in close co-operation with the Trade Council’s foreign counterparts, for example:
· KOTRA (Korea Trade Promotion and Investment Organization), Consul General for Iceland in Korea
· UNIDO, Ministry of Fisheries in Vietnam
· Bahria Foundation, Pakistan., Consul General for Iceland in Pakistan.
· The Chamber of Commerce, Santiago, Chile
· Padilla & Zurueta, Buenos Aires, Argentina.
· Nova Scotia Economic Development and Tourism, Investment and Trade, Nova Scotia, Canada
· Federation of Thai Industries, Thailand
· Board of Trade, Thailand
· Department of Export Promotion, Thailand
· MATRADE, Malaysia
· The United Nations University Fisheries Training Programme, Iceland, 1998. Courses; International Business, International Markets for Seafood Products and an introduction to Icelandic Fisheries.
· Akureyri University, Fisheries graduates; International Business, 1994 -
· University of Iceland, Centre for re-education; Market research, 1994-1996
· Technical University of Iceland, Export and marketing Department; Supervisor on final essays, 1995 – 1998
· University of Reykjavik, International Business, 2004 -